Gokak is a small town in Belagavi district in the state of Karnataka.
I had been here on October 3rd 2020.
The falls is the continuation of the Ghataprabha river which after its long trail, takes a jump of about 52 metres and surges 170ft. across the rocky bed. It is a horse shoe shaped waterfall. The size and white water fall has made it earn the tag “Mini Niagara”. The waterfall is at full glory during the monsoon and the sound can be heard from quite a distance. This makes it one of the most famous waterfalls in the state of Karnataka.
There is also a “Hanging Bridge” built across the falls over a 100 years ago during the British Era. Witnessing the falls from standing or walking over the bridge is a sight to behold.
The site also has enough parking area for the tourists and has a few food stalls. “Mirchi Bajji with tea” is a must try at any of the food stalls.
- Best time to visit: July to September (Carry appropriate clothing – Raincoat, Umbrella etc)…
- Time of visit: Sunrise to Sunset…
- Entry fee: No entry fee…
- Time required for sightseeing: 90 to 150 minutes…
- Parking fee: INR 50/hour for 4-wheelers and INR 20/hour 2-wheelers…
- Famous sweet: Kardant…
- Other nearby places: Cotton Mill just opp. to the falls entrance…
How to reach:-
- By bike/car: Gokak is just 70 km from the Belagavi district. There are state highways connecting to and from the Gokak town.
- By train: There are 6 direct trains from Belagavi/Belgaum (BGM) to Gokak Road (GKK). The falls is about 11km away from the GKK railway station. Taxis or mini public buses are available which will drop you at the entrance of the falls.
|No.||Train No & Name|
BGM MRJ PASSENGER
CLR MRJ PASSENGER
RANI CHENAMMA EXPRESS
LD MRJ PASNGR
BGM MRJ PASSENGER
UBL MRJ PASSENGER
The next tourist spot on the way is the “Godachinmalki Falls”. The falls is about 18km away from the Gokak falls. You can easily hire a taxi from Gokak falls if you don’t have your personal vehicle.
Godachinmalki Falls is located on Markandeya river. The falls is approachable through a forest route of around 2 km. The gush of the water is actually more thicker than that of the Gokak falls. The color of the falls is usually reddish-brown unlike its counterpart Gokak falls.
You can easily spend an hour here at the falls. It is advisable to be more safe when you are close to the river bank.
The entire trip to Gokak and Godachinmalki falls can be completed inside a day. And if you start early, you can also visit the 2 dams nearby one built across Hidkal dam and another one Shirur Dam.
This one day I had been with my friend in his personal car. This trip was a bit refreshing after a long gap of 8 months due to the pandemic.
Let me know your experience in the comments section below. See you all in the next blog. Until then stay safe and take care. 🙂
There is no better place to find yourself than sitting by a waterfall and listening to its music.Roland R Kemler